PS: Enjoy the informative and funny video. My test subject wasn't quite sure what to make of my black bean burger as she usually eats McDonald's! :-)
Great Day Houston Show 9/16/11
Black Bean and Lentil BurgerYield: 4 Burgers
½ (16 oz) can Black beans, drained and rinsed (8 oz)
8 oz cooked Black lentils or French green lentils
½ Green bell pepper, cut into 2" pieces
½ Onion, cut into wedges
3 cloves Garlic, peeled
1 Tbsp Chili powder
1 Tbsp Cumin
1 tsp Thai chili sauce or hot sauce (we used Sambal)
½ cup bread crumbs (we use brown rice crispies to make gluten free)
- If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375F (190C), and lightly oil a baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, mash black beans and lentils with a fork until thick and pasty.
- In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir into mashed beans.
- In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.
- Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.
- If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.
- Add 1 oz. of cucumber dill dressing with arugula, roasted red peppers and serve on toasted whole wheat or whole grain bun.
Cucumber Dill DressingYield: 1 cup dressing
1 cup Greek Nonfat yogurt
2 tsp fresh Dill, chopped
2 tsp Honey
2 oz fresh-squeezed Lemon juice
2 oz minced English cucumber
½ tsp Kosher salt
½ tsp White ground pepper
Stir to combine.
Black Tea Infused with Blackberry Puree and Mint
1 gallon Brewed tea
½ cup fresh Mint
2 cups fresh Blackberries
½ cup Agave nectar
Blend well in mixer and pour over ice, garnish with lemon and mint and enjoy!
Black Rice Salad
2 cups cooked Black rice (rinse rice well before cooking)
2 oz small Diced red and green bell peppers
2 oz small Diced sweet yellow pepper
3 oz small Diced English cucumber
½ cup dried Cranberries
Toss to combine with Red Wine Vinaigrette.