See more pics from our great event on Green Plate Kids Facebook page.
Follow me on Pinterest now! Lisa Pounds Foodie Board
- Keep kids on a schedule for meals and snacks. This helps them feel the signs of hunger and stops the mindless snacking between meals.
- Make the kitchen off limits during the day unless it’s time for a meal or a planned snack
- Even though the days are longer and the kids might stay up longer, consider setting a time when the kitchen is closed for the night.
- Focused efforts on Eating Healthy as a Family and explaining what that means. Leading by Example.
- You are the Role Model!
- Eliminate Fast Food and processed foods
- Eliminate White grains- Choose only WHOLE grains (label, fiber, less processed, more nutrients)
- Eliminate SODAS, high sugar drinks
- Watch your Sodium intake (Adult no more than 2300 mg/day)
- Exercise as a family- bike ride to the farmers' market!
Hydration and Drinks
- Keep the refrigerator stocked with COLD Water in pitchers and have designated reusable water bottle for every family member.
- Send children to summer camp with a filled water bottle.
- If your child is doing outdoor sports during summer time, teach them to drink a few sips of water every 15-20 minutes.
- Teach children to drink water before they are thirsty!
- Juices, fruit punch and sodas can have a lot of added sugar and empty calories
- READ YOUR LABELS! Each teaspoon of sugar is 4.2 grams (A can of regular soda 30 grams or 8 tsps!) Make sure each item is 10 grams or less
- You can try adding some juice to plain soda water or to water to give water a little fruit flavor. A typical serving of fruit juice is ¾ cup. Make sure the label states 100% fruit juice.
Summer Food on the Go
Camp, Pool, Beach, Road Trip, Plane Trip, etc. Be prepared don’t get stuck going through fast food drive through or horrible & expensive airport options.
- Throw some of the juice boxes or mini waters in freezer to help keep cooler cold and perfect temp hours into the trip.
- Make your own trail mix (Granola, dried fruit, nuts, chocolate chips)
- Pack lots of fresh fruit, minimize salty snacks, bring an apple and peanut butter packets
- Plane: Be mindful of the 3 oz. rule for liquids (including yogurt, peanut butter)
- Alternatives to regular sandwiches: Nut Butter (sushi) rolls, WHOLE Grain breads
- Pasta/Quinoa Salads pack well (no Mayo) dressing on side (Whole Grain pasta)
- Only WHOLE grains have fiber, read labels- experiment with new varieties for your family!
- Pool/Beach: Make ahead fruit or yogurt pops!
- Fruit kabobs for pool/beach- easy to pass around and hold w/out utensils.
- Always pack lots of wipes, hand sanitizer, bug spray and suntan lotion! Bring a blanket and have an instant picnic.
- Packaging Lunch for camp/school- Double up on ICE packs!
At HOME: Everything is more fun on a stick! (Marketing can do wonders!)
- Breakfast - Rainbow Fruit Skewers, with yogurt dipping sauce
- Salad kabobs - kids can eat their salad on a stick; make your own Ranch dressing dip!
- Grill Dinner on Kabobs! - Lean meats or shrimp, veggies and Grilled Fruit kabobs for dessert! (brush w/oil add cinnamon)
- Set out veggies and hummus during dinner prep
- What is seasonal? Tomatoes, peaches, berries, melons experiment with different leafy greens, multicolored potatoes and turnips, quinoa or barley salads (See recipe)
- Family Nights - Take turns planning menu or themes
- Turn off Technology and spend quality time with you family
Fun & Healthy Summer Recipes
PBJ & Banana and Granola Breakfast Wraps
1 Flatout Light Flatbread or other Whole grain wrap
1 Tbs peanut or almond butter
1 Tbs jam
2 strawberries, hulled and sliced
1/4 banana, cut in half lengthwise
2 Tbs granola
Spread peanut butter evenly over entire Flatbread. On one rounded end, spread jam. Layer strawberry, banana and granola. Roll, cut and enjoy!
Any combo of fresh seasonal fruit: blueberries, blackberries, grapes, strawberries, chopped cantaloupe, sliced kiwi, etc.
Yogurt or almond yogurt
Tall glass or trifle dish
Add granola, hemp or flax seeds, nuts or shredded coconut in layers and as a topping (optional)
Layer 3 of the fruits, followed by some yogurt. Layer the next 3 fruits and top with more yogurt.
Grilled Veggie Quinoa Salad(Serves 4)
1 Cup uncooked Quinoa (try different colors, darker = better)
1 zucchini sliced and grilled
1 summer squash sliced and grilled
1 small eggplant sliced and grilled
1 red onion- sliced and grilled
1 red pepper sliced and grilled
Sprinkle Parmesan (optional)
3 cups spinach or any green leafy lettuce
Chopped fresh herbs (Italian parsley, basil)
Classic French Vinaigrette (Try making your own)
Chop Grilled Veggies toss all ingredients and sprinkle with cheese and enjoy
Patriotic Frozen Pops
Make 4 pops, prep: 15min. Freeze 10 min to overnights (Need frozen pop-makers)
1 cup plain Keifer
2 teaspoons Sugar
2 packets Truvia
¼ teaspoon Vanilla
½ cup blueberries (divided equally)
¼ cup raspberries, or quartered strawberries (divided)
Stir vanilla, sugars into the kefir. For each pop, place 8 blueberries in mold, insert sticks fill mold halfway w/kefir, add red berries then fill in remaining kefir. Freeze and enjoy!
Have a great and healthy summer everyone!