Snacking can be the downfall of any healthy diet. Here are a few fast and low calorie snacks to help get you through those afternoon craving without derailing your diet.
Baked Apples (1 serving)
- 1 Apple (3 inch diameter apple = 95 calories)
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- To Taste- Ground Cinnamon
Core a tennis-ball sized apple, drizzle with honey, dust with cinnamon and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes (or until tender but not mushy).
Frozen Chocolate-Covered Bananas (12 servings)
- 4 large ripe bananas, peeled and cut into thirds crosswise
- 3/4 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 12 popsicle sticks
To melt chocolate, microwave on Medium for 1 minute. Stir, then continue microwaving on Medium, stirring every 20 seconds, until melted.Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Insert a popsicle stick into each piece of banana. Cover each piece with melted chocolate using a rubber spatula and sprinkle with coconut. Place the bananas on the baking sheet and freeze until frozen, about 2 hours.
- 1 can garbanzo beans (15 oz), drained
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons garlic
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
In a food processor, process beans, garlic, spinach, and olive oil. Add lemon and salt and blend. If spinach hummus is too thick, add 1 tablespoon water until desired consistency. Hummus should be smooth and creamy.
Spiced Up Trail Mix (3 servings)
- 1/2 cup Whole Raw Almonds
- 1/2 cup Pecan Halves
- 1/2 cup Walnut Halves
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Shelled Sunflower Seeds
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Shelled Pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons Canola Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients and toss well to coat.
Spread the nuts in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake, shaking them every few minutes, until toasted and fragrant, about 15 minutes.
Let the nuts cool and store in an airtight container.
But if you'd rather skip the prep and cooking, here are five snacks that are ready to eat and under 100 calories!
- 1 1/4 cup of blueberries
- 1 cup of cherries
- 1 1/4 cup of strawberries
- 1 1/4 cup of grapes (You can also eat these frozen!)
- Green Plate Foods Nubblers